Biology Program Requirements
The biology major is a four-year program leading to a baccalaureate. Students may choose from a bachelor of science (BS) or a bachelor of arts (BA).
Applicants for the BS and BA programs should have completed at least eighteen credits, seven in science courses, and compiled a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 and a minimum of 2.5 in science courses.
As part of the four-year degree requirements, students must complete Biology 495: Senior Project. The project is under the supervision of a faculty member at Bryn Athyn College or another institution. Proposals for this project must be submitted by students in the spring of junior year. - Biology Major Senior Project Overview (PDF)
Bachelor of Science Program
The BS degree is recommended for those who plan to continue their education in graduate or medical school.
- Biology 120: Principles of Biology - For students who entered before Fall 2011
- Biology 122: Introduction to Biology: Genetics and Evolution - For students entering after Fall 2011
- Biology 123: Introduction to Biology: Molecular Biology - For students entering after Fall 2011
- Biology 230: Genetics
- Biology 232: Cell Structure and Function
- Biology 235: Ecology
- One of: Biology 225: Introductory Ornithology, Biology 240: Botany, or Biology 245: Zoology
- Chemistry 110: General Chemistry I
- Chemistry 111: General Chemistry II
- Chemistry 210: Organic Chemistry I
- Mathematics 130: Introduction to Statistics
- Mathematics 150: Calculus I
- Physics 210: Principles of Physics
- Biology 373: Biological Laboratory Techniques: Molecular Biology (2 credits)
- Biology 490, 491 & 492: Biology Seminars I, II & III (a total of 3 credits, required senior year)
- Three additional 200/300-level biology courses (can include Anth 260)
- One additional 300-level biology course
- Biology 495: Senior Project
Bachelor of Arts Program
The BA degree is a general liberal arts program that prepares graduates for a variety of career fields.
Course Requirements: The requirements for the BA degree are the same as those for the BS degree except for the following:
- Mathematics 125: Elements of Calculus may be taken in the place of Mathematics 150: Calculus I.
- Physics is not required.
- One term (2 credits) of Biological Laboratory Techniques, or two 200-level lab coures.
- Four additional biology courses (can include Anth 260). If taken before junior year, these four courses may include one of either Earth Science 110: Introduction to Physical Geology and Meteorology or Biology 110: Environmental Science
- Two additional science or mathematics courses selected from:
- Mathematics 150: Calculus I (or higher)
- Computer Science 180: Structured Programming (or higher)
- Physics 210 & 211: Principles of Physics I & II
- Chemistry 211: Organic Chemistry II
- Or any 200-level or higher biology (can include Anth 260)