Technology Information for Students
Accessing your Bryn Athyn College email account
Bryn Athyn College email accounts have been upgraded to the latest version of Microsoft Outlook for Office 365. You can access your account by following these instructions:
- Go to https://outlook.com/brynathyn.edu
- Log in using your existing Bryn Athyn College network user ID and password:
- User ID: [your_network_userID]@brynathyn.edu – [e.g [email protected]]
- Password: Your existing network password
If you encounter difficulties, please contact the Helpdesk at 267-502-2680 or email [email protected].
2014–2015 Laptop Requirements
All incoming, enrolled, full-time students are required to come to campus with a laptop. See below for specifications.
PURCHASING A LAPTOP
Our campus Helpdesk supports Windows and Mac laptops connecting to the Internet.
We strongly recommend that all incoming students purchasing new laptops should select a leading brand name computer, for example, Dell, Apple, HP, Toshiba, Sony, etc. This will ensure that your laptop can connect to our campus network, and that our Helpdesk can provide you with technical support throughout the year.
If you choose to purchase an off-brand laptop the Helpdesk cannot guarantee network access or technical support. Laptops matching the suggested specifications below are likely to operate well on our network.
WHEN PURCHASING ANY LAPTOP, MAKE SURE IT CONFORMS TO THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum specifications for Windows Laptops:
- Windows 7 or higher
- Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- At least 2 GB RAM
Minimum specifications for Mac Laptops:
- Macbook, Macbook Pro, or Macbook Air
- OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or higher
- At least 2 GB RAM
This year students enrolled at Bryn Athyn College can download Microsoft Office for Windows or Mac for free. Each student has up to five licenses for use with any laptop, desktop, tablet or other mobile device.
Quick installation instructions (It takes about 10 minutes to install; 20 minutes, if you have to do an uninstall first):
- If you already have a version of Office installed on your computer, you may want to uninstall it first as the two versions may conflict.
- In your computer’s browser go to http://outlook.com/brynathyn.edu and login using your Office 365 credentials.
- In the upper right hand corner of your Office 365/Outlook window, click on the gear icon and select “Office 365 Settings”
- In the left hand menu select “Software” and then “Office.” Click on the “Install” button on that page and follow the instructions.
- Tip: OneDrive is also useful to download from this screen (Windows PC’s). OneDrive a cloud-based file storage system that you can use to save and access files anywhere you have an internet connection.
For detailed instructions see the IT Department FAQs at https://brynathyncollege.sharepoint.com/sites/itdepartment/ (login with your Office 365 credentials). If you “Follow” this site by clicking on the “Follow” button in the top right corner, you will easily access it again in the future in the “Sites” section of Office 365.
NETWORK CONNECTION AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT
The IT Department is available to help you get connected to the Internet on campus.
Please see the FAQs at https://brynathyncollege.sharepoint.com/sites/itdepartment/ for details about how to access the internet.
If you purchase a laptop that meets the specifications listed on this page, the Helpdesk will provide basic support services for your laptop including offering a loaner if your laptop needs to be repaired. Students are responsible for repairs of their laptops.